Thursday, September 6, 2012

Old Door Project Number 2: Coffee Table

Brian has a habit of going into a store where there are handcrafted goods and saying "I could make that". More often than not, he's right (although he doesn't always get to prove it).

A few weekends ago I went into an antique and "upcycled" shop that had lots of unique items, and many of them were made out of old doors. We love old doors! I was blown away by a kitchen island completely made out of old doors. I was totally ready to rip out our existing island for that one.

But a more reasonable and attainable discovery was that of a coffee table. A coffee table made out of an old door, and it cost $300 (after getting home and googling I found some as high as $1000). I knew exactly what Brian was going to say "$300!?! I could make that.". And I'm pretty sure that's exactly what he said when I dragged him into the store to look at it. "Great. Lets go buy a door", was my reply.

We drove on down to our favorite vintage and antiques shop, Farmer Brown's Mercantile in Ronan, MT because I knew they had an old door on display in front of their shop. It was perfect, even had the knob and hardware still attached. It was $40 and white, perfect for our living room.

We snatched it up and before I could even get a picture of it Brian had started cutting it up.

The door was a solid wood door (absolutely necessary if you are going to be cutting it up, hollow doors won't work) and had 5 squares or panels like many old doors do. Brian cut 1 panel off the top and one off the bottom (for either side of the table), leaving 3 panels to be the top. I'm not sure if he secured the 3 pieces together with anything more than L-brackets, I missed the first few steps.

After he put the 3 main pieces together he used some old barn wood to create the shelf in the bottom. This added a lot of stability to the piece. He used a vice of sorts to hold everything in place while he screwed in the boards. The last step was to scrape away some of the excess paint from the top and apply a clear coat of varnish to protect the top surface.

It turned out so amazing, I couldn't be happier. I'll be sure to get some more pictures of it once our living room is more put together. It took Brian about a day and a half and $50 to build.

1 comment:

  1. This is an awesome piece! The door-turned-table with its used look is really something. It looks so vintage-y with the chalk paint on and the knob still in place. Doors are strong fixtures and you’ve made another noteworthy purpose for it. ;)

    -->Norbert Floth

    ReplyDelete